Old Fire House No. 1 Children's Museum

314 North Commercial Street
719-846-8220

About:-Firemen's sleeping quarters were located at the rear fo the building. On the first floor, the fire truck waited silently for the bell to toll and the firemen to slide down the fire pole. Today, the City's old 1947 American La France fire truck still waits patiently for both young and old "firefighters" to climb in the cab. The "young at heart" can also try on well -worn coats, boots and other apparel. An early rescue net leans against the wall, old fire hoses dangle from the hose shaft, and other equipment is displayed. There is even the early fire alarm system used in Trinidad. After the present City Hall was built, the Council room in Firehouse NO. 1 was converted to a kitchen and lounge. Office work was probably conducted there and today this area still displays early kitchen and office facilities.

A "dress-up" area for young visitors, as well as a doll collection have been added. The old sleeping area has been converted to a replica schoolroom, complete with student' and teacher's desks, black boards, wainscoting and other school equipment. These items were saved when the old Santa Fe School was torn down. School programs for elementary classes are conducted in the museum's schoolroom by appointment. On the first floor of the museum is a large model train diorama. The train passes through villages and towns, and winds through tunnels and around mountains. Coal mines and wildlife dot the diorama's countryside. In the dungeon-like basement are two original jail cells. Those who dare may enter them and close the heavy iron doors. These were Trinidad's original jail cells that housed dozens of well-known desperados.