Elbert County Historical Society and Museum
The Elbert County Historical Society originated from an “Old Timers” picnic in 1956. Back then, it began as a summer afternoon get together of reminiscing about the good old days. From these early pioneers, the backbone for the historical society was formed. The Historical Society was officially formed in 1957. The membership is made up of volunteers who were dedicated to the preservation of original manuscripts, documents, photographs and artifacts of Elbert county. Determined to preserve Elbert county history, the Historical Society members dreamed of establishing a museum.
These dreams were fulfilled when the Elbert County Museum, housed in the old Kiowa, Colorado High School, officially opened in June of 1993.
It was decided that the museum needed an exhibit and, with the guidance of the Colorado Endowment for the Humanities, a grant was obtained. This marked a 19 ‘month effort of hard work to bring forth a fantastic exhibit: “Window to the Past, Door to the Future” which is just the beginning of the Elbert County Historical Society’s effort to preserve and interpret the county's past with an eye to the future.
Elbert County Historical Society and Museum is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media