Edelweiss German Restaurant
In 1901 an attractive two room schoolhouse was erected in the Colordo Springs suburb of Ivywild.
The site was "1604 South Cascade," now the corner of Cascade and Navajo. The total cost for the building was $3400.
Thomas McLaren, the architect, was asked to draw up plans for a two room structure that would seat 100 pupils. The building contract, given to Mr. Linn Atkinson, called for the latest innovation "a building that would be ventilated by the Dixon system and that would be heated by a furnace."
The school called "the bungalow" by the students was used until 1915. By that time the classrooms became crowded, and the new present blond brick building Ivywild School was erected. The old school building was moved to Ramona Street where first it became a residence. In later years it was remodeled and since 1967 houses the Edelweiss Restaurant.
The present site of the Edelweiss Restaurant was the so called "Jenkins Pond." The foundation of the restaurant (our present Rathskeller) was constructed with meter thick rock walls from Cheyenne Canyon. The schoolhouse was set on top of this and the pond around it was filled with ashes brought in from the power plant from downtown Colorado Springs.
In 2001 the owners of Edelweiss decided it was time to update the schoolhouse once again. They asked Architects Atz Herzog from Heilbronn, Germany, local architect John Nelson and builder Bob Patterson for help in order to keep the original structure and atmosphere of the building as much intact as possible.
Rocks from Cheyenn Canyon were brought in to match the original stone pillars and create a beautiful new foyer and outside pillars. Shingles were cut and painted to match the old schoolhouse exterior. Handicap entries were constructed, as well as new bathrooms. The east wing of the restaurant became a beautiful new room with a huge fireplace in a "hunting" style decor that is so popular in Germany. The house east of the restaurant was moved across the street to make room for a European style parking lot of pavestones and old fashioned lanterns.
And of course, the heating, electric and air conditioning systems were completely redone to make the restaurant more comfortable and efficient. The kitchen was enlarged and new storage and an office area was added. The staff and owners of the Edelweiss hope that their guests will feel at home in this remodeled building!
For over 40 years this family-owned German Restaurant on the south side of Colorado Springs has served over a million happy customers. The restaurant invites guests to dine in one of its several rooms decorated with artifacts from Europe. With strolling musicians on Friday and Saturday nights, three blazing fireplaces in winter, and an authentic "Biergarten" in summer, you are sure to enter into another world as a guest at Edelweiss. The authentic menu with a variety of Old World German dishes includes Schnitzel, Bratwurst, and Sauerbraten, with newer-age items such as Flammekuchen and Maultaschen. For those not so adventurous palates Edelweiss offers other Continental fare such as Chicken Cordon Bleu, Filet Tournedos, or Fresh Salmon Filet. Imported German Beers and Wines can be ordered to compliment any of the flavorful dishes. The European-trained Swiss Pastry Chef bakes all of the desserts from scratch, so save room for one of the rich Tortes or pastries, or take some to go.
Edelweiss German Restaurant is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media